Before going out on a date with someone, think about these verses. If your date does not demonstrate and treat you like the Bible says they should, there shouldn’t be a second date.
1 Corinthians 15:33 (NIV)
33 Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”[a]
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 English Standard Version (ESV)
4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;[a] 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Stage 1: Have you heard anyone say…He’s/she’s great isn’t he/she? Do you mean they meet the standards above? Sweet, charming, cute, funny and so loving and I’m really in to them.
Stage2: Does your date say things like… “I’m just saying this because I am jealous of you and I really like you a lot. I’m becoming obsessed with you. Don’t get angry but I am not sure I can let go of you.
(Time to take a look at the motive behind their words and actions.)
Knowing the warning signs may help you identify a friend or loved one victimized by dating abuse:
- Intense mood swings
- Loss of interests in things they used to do with you as a group and things they were interested in before starting to date this person
- Withdrawal from friends and family and no longer has the time to go out with the group of people they used to hang out with
- Signs of physical harm or wants to change their appearance or what they do and how they act with words and actions
- Drug use, alcohol, eating changes
- Unexplainable fear and withdraws from talking with you and socializing
- Sabotage or discontinued use of birth control
- Sexual activity
- Won’t return your phone calls, texts, social media but is constantly in contact with the new dating partner
Galatians 5:22-24 English Standard Version (ESV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Reach Out Speak Out
A faith based ministry helping victims of domestic violence within our faith community.
photo credit: Relevante design